Did you know that the average calories burned doing a boot camp workout can range from 300-500 and even more? What a great reason to spend your week with us! But what about the weekend? Are you staying active throughout the weekend to balance all the dinner dates, cookouts, birthday parties and other social gatherings centered around food and drinks? I’m not talking about hard core, heavy duty, boot camp workouts? I’m talking about things that you can do to stay active throughout the weekend…AND have fun (not that you don’t at boot camp). Here are a few ideas to keep you moving throughout the weekend:
- Plan a trip to Stone Mountain, Kennesaw Mountain, or your local state park and go on a hike. It’s a beautiful time of year to enjoy the cooler temperatures and the flowers and trees blooming before Atlanta becomes Hotlanta
- Organize a neighborhood soccer or kickball game. Include adults, kids or both and you’re guaranteed a fun time
- Next time your kids ask you to join them on the trampoline, instead of saying “I’ve got emails to catch up on” or “I need to clean the house”, join them! They’ll love it and you will too!
- If you’re planning to head out with friends one evening, make an afternoon of it. Meet up for a 5K, finish off with some ab work, head home to clean up, THEN meet for dinner and drinks. You won’t feel so guilty about indulging!
Whatever you’re doing, try to plan your weekend activities around activity…MOVE! Get your family to MOVE! Get your dogs to MOVE! Just MOVE!
Recipe of the Week:
It’s time for cookouts and other outdoor social gatherings. Here’s a unique, healthy, and oh-so-yummy appetizer you can bring to your next event:
Bacon-Wrapped Hummus-Stuffed Peppers:
- 10-15 jalapeno peppers
- 1 container of pre-made hummus (or make a batch of your own)
- 1 package bacon (lean, low sodium)
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees. Slice the top of the jalapenos, cut them in half lengthwise, then remove seeds and placenta. Spoon hummus in jalapenos. Cut bacon strips in half, wrap a half-strip around the stuffed pepper, and pin it together at the top with a toothpick. Bake for 25 minutes. Enjoy!
Homework for the week:
Try to find time EVERY DAY for one full week to complete the task below. Set a time, whether it’s right before a meal, right after you wake up, during a midday break, or while you’re watching TV, and get it done:
- 50 burpees
- 50 pushups
- 50 situps
In addition, join us this Saturday for our free boot camp. Class begins at 8am sharp. Bring a friend and show them what you’ve been up to for the past few weeks. Maybe you’ll recruit them as your partner for next month!
The Flip Side:
We encourage you to try out classes at the gym as well. We offer a wide variety of classes including Cycling, Pilates, Cardio Kickboxing, Yoga, Zumba, Buns & Bellies, and Cardiofunk. You can sign up using the same MindBody portal you use to sign up for boot camp classes.
Don’t forget to sign up for a membership so you can continue your fitness journey with us. Membership is $99 for a six-month commitment, and $135 month-to-month.