Every year we all make New Year’s Resolutions knowing that we aren’t going to stick with them. No doubt you have had fitness resolutions in years past that you may or may not have stuck with. Here are the top four resolutions that we feel are most important for your health to keep in 2015:
- Stick to a Fitness Routine that Includes Strength Training: Some of us love cardio and some of us love lifting, however it is important to mix in both during your weekly fitness routine. Strength training burns up to 40% more fat than cardio alone. Adding it in just 3-4 times per week will help torch belly fat and your chances of heart disease.
- Cut Out Refined Carbs: Refined carbs (white bread, candy, and white sugar) may taste good, but they can totally derail your goals to get in shape. Refined carbs cause your blood sugar to spike, which then forces your body to pump out tons of insulin to get the sugar into your cells. After that your blood sugar plummets, you then get very sleepy, and any sugar the insulin didn’t deal with gets converted into fat – most commonly belly fat!
- Reduce Your Sodium Intake: According to data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, the top 10 individual food sources of sodium in the American diet are all convenience foods, coming from either restaurants or from handy-dandy boxes. Most sodium is now used as a flavor booster and as a result in the US we are seeing more cases of high blood pressure, heart disease (which is the number 1 killer of women), weak bones, and bloating.
- Reduce Stress: Stress alone can destroy your health! It causes headaches, wrinkles, weight gain, sluggish immune systems, and heart disease. Reducing your stress is key to maintaining a healthy life. Some stressors you just can’t escape, like a long commute or an insufferable mother-in-law, but you can learn to manage them better. Simplify your schedule, ask for help when needed, and don’t forget to breathe. Adding yoga or deep breathing exercises to your daily routine will help you reduce stress immensely.
We all know how hard it is to keep resolutions but the four outlined above will really keep you safe and healthy for a lifetime. Here are our tips to keeping resolutions:
- Be realistic when choosing resolutions
- Don’t wait until New Years Eve to make your resolutions
- Create a plan to avoid the temptation to break your resolutions
- Coordinate your resolution with a friend to keep each other accountable
- Reward yourself each month for staying on track
- Track your progress in a journal or on a calendar – chances are if you see your progress in front of you, you are less likely to veer off course
- Don’t beat yourself up for little slip-ups – we all make mistakes
Here at Total Fitness Revolution we are all about helping you stick to your fitness and health goals. We offer one-on-one personal training and nutrition consultations to help keep you on track. We also offer plenty of group fitness classes to get you motivated and allow you to meet people with similar goals as you. Contact us today for more information on memberships.